2016/02/06

Peanut butter culture

When I was in Germany, I didn't understand, why people would be crazy about peanut butter. I was convinced it's unhealthy, sticky, tasting weird and simply unnecessary. But since I thought I should adjust to the culture and give peanut butter a fair chance to compete with strawberry jam, I tried one and it wasn't too bad. I figured out, that crunchy peanut butter is really cool and that some of them are over-sugared and some just oil. (A year ago, I was confused how you could think of different kinds of peanut butter; I thought there is just one or maybe two.)



As it had to happen I bought a peanut butter I didn't like and could barely eat (too much sugar...). So I made peanut butter cookies - I didn't have to add sugar because peanut basically contains everything ;)

And indeed, the healthiness of peanut butter is a controversial topic. It has a really high calory-density (600kcal/100g; butter: 700kcal/100g) and even these calories are mostly fat (and sugar). But since there are nuts in there, it contains some proteins - that's how I justify it to myself.