2016/01/05

It never rains in Southern California... nearly

I'm sure you know Albert Hammond's song "It Never Rains in Southern California" (youtube). Until today I would have kind of agreed, but then this happened:


We had at least seven hours of rain and spending only a few minutes riding my bike got my socks wet for the day (at least all physicists get a shower ;)). Around noon the sun was shining again which reminded me of the typical German weather around April.

However, some people say we're going to get more rain than usual here, because the El-Nino phenomenon is apparently really strong this year. But this is not an easy topic and I searched around the Internet and the correlation between El Nino and more rain in California does not seem to be clear at all. There seems to be more rain with El Nino, but nobody understands the phenomenon so well that there's a distinct link.

Nevertheless, we definitely need the water here! So whatever the cause is and how wet any socks might get, it's welcomed.